Thursday, 9 September 2010

Introduction

Just to get this blog started, a quick introduction.

I have been running GNU/Linux distributions for almost 8 years now. My first experience was with Mandrake (today Mandriva) Linux - downloading 6 CD's on dialup was fun - and after some distro hopping I soon found a home with SuSE 9.2. Since then I've stuck with openSUSE as my main distro while also running the *buntu's and others on testing machines. My preference has always been for KDE - which is why I've never been a fan of Ubuntu - but every so often I'll fire up Gnome, Xfce, LXDE to see what progress has been made. I'm just as happy hacking away from a console.

Over the years I've picked up a fair few scripting and coding skills. Given a bit of time to remember the syntax, I can generally get what I want done in most common languages - bash, awk, sed, perl, C/C++.

My main contributions to the FOSS software environment are RPM packaging/maintenance (made super easy by the OpenSUSE Build Service), and C++/Qt/KDE application maintenance and patching. One of the first projects I became directly involved in is the SynCE project, where I ported some simple KDE3 applications to KDE4. Since then I've been active on the openSUSE mailing lists and occasionally on the forums.

My openSUSE Build Service home project is accessible here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Tejas Guruswamy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.